- Code DESN4011
- Unit Value 12 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Design
- Areas of interest Digital Arts, Creative Arts, Design
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Naomi Hay
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2023
See Future Offerings
This course grounds students in theoretical and methodological issues at the intersection of design and research. It contextualises contemporary design discourse and practice, with a focus on changing models of the field and its relations to knowledge, research and production. Case studies elaborate on research in, through and for design, introducing students to theoretical and studio models and methods that will support their own design research projects.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- navigate and contextualise contemporary design discourses and practices;
- understand key theoretical models of design practice in relation to research;
- critically analyse and interpret research in, for and through design; and
- apply relevant theories and methods to formulate a design research project.
- Oral Presentation 15 minute (20) [LO 1,2]
- Annotated Bibliography 1200 -1500 words (20) [LO 1,2]
- Written Assignment 3000 - 3500 words (60) [LO 3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
260 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours contact over 12 weeks consisting of workshop, workshop-like activities; and
b) 212 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 12 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3872||20 Feb 2023||27 Feb 2023||31 Mar 2023||26 May 2023||In Person||View|