- Code DESN4012
- Unit Value 12 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Design
- Areas of interest Digital Arts, Creative Arts, Design
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Naomi Hay
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2023
See Future Offerings
Design practice-led research results in a creative output such as a design project, a portfolio of theoretical designs or crafted objects, or an exploration of a practical aspect design technology. This creative output is based on a traditional research process that involves identifying research questions, undertaking a theoretical and contextual review (which may include visual art and design objects and projects), gathering and analysing data, and articulating the original contribution that the creative output makes. A written exegesis and oral presentation allows for a clear articulation of the research and processes undertaken.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- critically reflect upon the research project and explain the decision-making processes to demonstrate the ability to assemble/design and install/exhibit a coherent body of studio work;
- synthesise studio and related research and articulate research question/s, methodologies, methods, and processes;
- analyse, evaluate, and communicate relevant historical and contemporary theory, methods and practices and relate them to the projects concerns; and
- document, communicate and present research processes, methods, and outcomes
- Exegesis communicating the work made in THES4105, 7000 - 7500 words (75) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Design Research Presentation (assessment panel of at least two staff members) (25) [LO 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
260 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: seminars, reading groups, drop-in sessions, and/or critiques.
b) 224 hours of independent study consisting of a combination of research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 12 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|6863||24 Jul 2023||31 Jul 2023||31 Aug 2023||27 Oct 2023||In Person||N/A|