- Code HLTH1001
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by ANU Medical School
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Health Science
- Areas of interest Cultural Studies, Epidemiology, Biomedical Science, Health
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Rosalie Aroni
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2021
See Future Offerings
This course has been adjusted for remote participation in Sem 1 2021 due to COVID-19 restrictions. On-campus activities will not be available.
This multidisciplinary course provides an introduction to the health arena. Students completing the course will learn about the biological, behavioural, social and ecological determinants of health and will develop a capacity to view health issues from scientific, social, cultural and policy perspectives. Students will gain insight into current and historical health challenges faced locally and globally. They will be introduced to not only issues raised in relation to health service delivery and public health but also the intersections between them.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Differentiate between health/wellness and disease/disability incorporating perspectives from different health traditions and cultures;
- Explain burden of disease indicators and apply this knowledge in analysing the impact of health conditions locally and globally;
- Understand the concept of health determinants (biological, behavioural, social and environmental) and discuss the relative contributions of these to health and wellbeing;
- Describe the major components of the Australian health system and their roles in managing health;
- Explain key principles in providing equitable health care across diverse population groups;
- Explain the relationship between health service delivery, public health and global health and apply this knowledge to health policy challenges.
- Tutorial assessments (30) [LO 1,2,3,4,5,6]
- Essay (30) [LO 1,2,3,4,5,6]
- Exam (40) [LO 1,2,3,4,5,6]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
The expected workload will consist of approximately 130 hours throughout the semester including:
- Face-to face component which may consist of 1 x 2 hour lecture plus 1 x 2 hour tutorial per week.
- Approximately 82 hours of self-study which will include preparation for lectures, presentations and other assessment tasks.
To be determined
Prescribed TextsTo be advised
Preliminary ReadingTo be advised
Assumed KnowledgeThis is an introductory course to the broad field of health science. It assumes no prior knowledge.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3436||22 Feb 2021||01 Mar 2021||31 Mar 2021||28 May 2021||In Person||N/A|