- Code JPNS3005
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Japanese
- Areas of interest Asian Languages
This course aims to develop and maintain an advanced competence in modern Japanese and a working knowledge of the issues currently confronting Japanese society. Course materials are taken from a variety of up-to-date authentic media, TV, film, podcasts, websites and print media. Focusing on listening, speech-making and presentation skills, students will progress from intermediate to advanced language skills—moving from the more controlled textbook learning environment to an engagement with ‘real’ materials.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills at an Advanced level of Japanese to:
1. Understand and analyse real-world Japanese news media to demonstrate knowledge of the major issues in present-day Japanese society.
2. Communite confidently in writing and speaking, and in collaborative groups, on topics drawn from a variety of up-to-date authentic media, TV, film, podcasts, websites and print media.
3. Demonstrate appropriate listening, speech-making and presentation skills, to present academic arguments fluently and clearly.
4. Demonstrate the ability to compose academic essays on complex subjects.
Students who successfully complete this course will typically achieve a level of proficiency roughly equivalent to JLPT N2 to N3, depending on their performance and degree of engagement.
This is a co-taught course. Any cap on enrolments in one course applies to both courses combined.
Indicative Assessment- Assignments and in-class quizzes 30% --- LO 1, 3
- Individual/Group Project and Presentation 40% - LO 2, 3
- Final Exam 30% --- LO 3, 4
Three hours of classes per week
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|9507||22 Jul 2019||29 Jul 2019||31 Aug 2019||25 Oct 2019||In Person||N/A|