- Code LING2028
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Linguistics
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Linguistics
The course will examine certain characteristic features of modern Japanese from a general linguistic perspective. A selection of topics will be discussed in conjunction with relevant literature.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of major linguistic and socio-cultural issues relevant to the Japanese language, and demonstrate an ability to discuss them rigorously.
- Analyse and discuss chosen specific aspects of Japanese linguistics, in an academic essay.
- Research and construct a short, correctly referenced bibliography on a chosen topic in Japanese linguistics. Write a critical annotation on one paper from the bibliography.
This is a co-taught course. Any cap on enrolments in one course applies to both courses combined.
- In class mid term exam (20) [LO 1,2]
- Final exam (30) [LO 1,2]
- Essay 2,500-3000 words (30) [LO 1,2,3]
- Article summary (20) [LO 3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours in total including in class time and independent study.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsCourse materials will be available on Wattle.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|6541||24 Jul 2023||31 Jul 2023||31 Aug 2023||27 Oct 2023||Online or In Person||N/A|