- Code LING8027
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Linguistics
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, European Languages, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, Latin American Languages, Language Studies
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr Ksenia Gnevsheva
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2022
See Future Offerings
Quantitative Research Methods in Linguistics provides essential skills for anyone who wants to undertake quantitative analysis in linguistics, including applied linguistics. It is an introductory course designed to enable students to acquire an understanding of quantitative research methods. It provides students with the basic skills for carrying out their research. Issues covered will include collecting, describing and interpreting data and reporting research findings. When discussing quantitative approaches, emphasis will be on the conceptual aspects of such procedures rather than on mechanical arithmetic aspects. Students will be given practical experience in the basics of statistical analysis and in computer tools to carry them out.
This course is recommended for anyone wishing to undertake research in any field of linguistics and applied linguistics.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Critically compare and discriminate between different research methodologies in linguistics and / or applied linguistics.
- Critically assess the methodology of a research project within your own discipline area.
- Critically assess the appropriateness of various methodological approaches in published linguistics and/or applied linguistics articles.
- Carry out descriptive and quantitative analysis of small data sets, applying statistical methods.
- Design, carry out and present (in both a written and oral format) a small project related to your own research interests.
Indicative AssessmentTutorial exercises (500 words, 20%) [LO 4]
Research proposal (2000 words, 20%) [LO 1,2,3]
Research paper (4000 words, 50%) [LO 5]
Research paper presentation (10 min, 10%) [LO 5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 24 hours of lectures and 12 hours of practical laboratories
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Prescribed TextsTo be indicated on Wattle.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5989||25 Jul 2022||01 Aug 2022||31 Aug 2022||28 Oct 2022||In Person||N/A|