- Code MATH3354
- Unit Value 6 units
This course introduces students to key concepts and techniques in advanced algebra. Topics will be taken from contemporary research areas in Algebra.
Possible topics include:
Algebraic number theory, Analytic number theory, Algebraic geometry and scheme theory, Sheaf theory, Derived and Triangulated categories, Algebraic curves and Riemann surfaces
Note: This is an HPC. It emphasizes mathematical rigour and proof and continues the development of modern algebra from an abstract viewpoint.
On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Explain the fundamental concepts of advanced algebra and their role in modern mathematics and applied contexts
2. Demonstrate accurate and efficient use of advanced algebraic techniques
3. Demonstrate capacity for mathematical reasoning through analyzing, proving and explaining concepts from advanced algebra
4. Apply problem-solving using advanced algebraic techniques applied to diverse situations in physics, engineering and other mathematical contexts
Other InformationThis course introduces students to key concepts and techniques in advanced algebra.
Assessment will be based on:
- Assignment 1 (20%; LO 1-4)
- Assignment 2 (20%; LO 1-4)
- Assignment 3 (20%; LO 1-4)
- Take home exam (40%; LO 1-4)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadThree lectures per week and workshops by arrangement.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Band 2
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery|
|7788||22 Jul 2019||29 Jul 2019||31 Aug 2019||25 Oct 2019||In Person|