- Code PHYS3101
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Physics Education Centre
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Physics
- Areas of interest Physics, Science
- Academic career UGRD
- Prof Joseph Hope
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2020
See Future Offerings
This core third year physics course develops quantum mechanics. Quantum mechanics will be generalised to a broad range of systems, from matter to photons. Topics covered will include foundations, symmetries, angular momentum, and the Lagrangian formulation of quantum mechanics. It also gives an introduction to many-body quantum mechanics, entanglement, bosons and fermions, occupation number notation, theory of open quantum systems, density matrices and master equations, dynamical calculations and approximations in quantum field theories, non-locality and reality and quantum measurement. This course is required for the physics major, the theoretical physics major, and is recommended for those intending to do the honours year in Physics.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Describe the basic Hilbert space structures describing all quantum field theories,
- Model physical systems using common approximation techniques for making dynamical calculations.
- Discuss the difficulties with the theory of quantum measurement and local realism.
- Critically analyse current candidates for a fully defined quantum theory.
- Obtain independent scientific knowledge from literature, and communicate it effectively to peers.
Indicative AssessmentAssessment consists of:
- Assignments and online questions (35%; LO 1-4)
- Two communication projects (20%; LO 4)
- Exam (45%; LO 1-3)
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
WorkloadOne three hour workshop per week (with online lecture material), and optional weekly tutorial.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.