- Code SOCR4002
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by ANU Centre for Social Research Methods
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Social Research
- Areas of interest Sociology, Criminology
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Markus Hahn
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
Second Semester 2023
See Future Offerings
This course is designed to equip participants with the necessary skills to analyse large survey data sets to answer research and policy questions. Students will be introduced to a number of multivariate statistical methods for analysing numeric, nominal and ordinal data. Methods covered include Ordinary Least Squares regression, multinomial and ordinal logistic regression, and principal component and factor analysis. Participants will use a major computer statistical software package such as Stata to apply the methods to survey data and to interpret and discuss the results of their data analysis.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- construct a research question using theory and data;
- justify the use of a particular technique;
- present and interpret statistical research results; and
- use statistical software such as Stata to conduct a range of multivariate statistical techniques.
- Online quizzes (x3) (15% each; total 45%) (45) [LO 2,3,4]
- Presentation on poster project (5 minutes for presentation; 5 minutes for questions) (15) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Research poster assignment (40) [LO 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 12 hours of lectures and 24 hours of computer lab.
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing
Requisite and Incompatibility
There is no set text. Students are expected to consult external texts and readings where necessary for assessment.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|6266||24 Jul 2023||31 Jul 2023||31 Aug 2023||27 Oct 2023||In Person||N/A|