All activities that form part of this course will be delivered remotely in Sem 2 2020.
This course surveys the rise of China and its implications for Asian and international security. The course begins with an historical overview of Chinese security policy with a particular emphasis upon key concepts of national identity, international status, and modernisation. It explores the domestic sources of China’s security policy, China’s security relations in the Asia Pacific, and particular case studies of crisis diplomacy such as the South China Sea, the Mekong River Delta, and the Himalayan-Tibetan Plateau.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- A comprehensive knowledge of the evolution of China’s foreign relations and security polices;
- A critical understanding of the key drivers of Chinese security policy behaviour in the Asia Pacific;
- Deeper insights into regional foreign policy and security challenges from a Chinese perspective;
- A developed capacity to present strong arguments in their written and oral work and to link relevant concepts and theories to actual practice skills (as developed through written assessments, in-class discussions and tutorial-based activities).
- Tutorial participation 10% (10) [LO null]
- Short Essay20% (20) [LO null]
- Research Essay40% (40) [LO null]
- Final Examination30% (30) [LO null]
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
35 contact hours per semester
A 2-hour lecture session per week for 12 weeks and a 1-hour tutorial per week for 11 weeks of the semester
Requisite and Incompatibility
A reading brick of key articles will be provided.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7709||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||In Person||N/A|