- Code MATH2301
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Mathematical Sciences Institute
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Mathematics
- Areas of interest Mathematics
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Asilata Bapat
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2023
See Future Offerings
This course is designed to introduce students to abstraction and its role in modeling problems mathematically. It focuses on discrete mathematics with elements of computer science, and is designed for students with a broad range of backgrounds.
Topics to be covered include:
- Foundations: Relations on sets, including equivalence and partial order relations, properties of functions, arithmetic of integers modulo n.
- Topics in graph theory: Applications of the adjacency matrix, graph colouring and the chromatic polynomial.
- Partially ordered sets: Incidence algebras and the relationship to the inclusion-exclusion principle.
- Automata and languages: Finite state automata and the equivalence with regular languages, the pumping lemma.
- Game Theory: Game graphs, impartial combinatorial games, matrix games.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Engage with abstraction and its role in modeling phenomena.
- Assimilate new ideas and apply them to solve problems.
- Use graph theoretic methods to solve problems.
- Understand the relationship between regular languages and finite state automata.
- Analyse certain kinds of games in full or partial detail.
- Solve problems with a good degree of accuracy.
- Work together to solve problems.
- Regular assignments (30) [LO 1,2,3,4,5,6,7]
- Mid-semester examination (25) [LO 1,3,4,5,6]
- Final examination (40) [LO 1,3,4,5,6]
- Workshop participation (5) [LO 1,2,3,4,5,6,7]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
The expected workload will consist of approximately 130 hours throughout the semester including:
- Face-to face component which may consist of 3 x 1 hour lecturer per week (36 hours) as well as 16.5 hours of workshop time.
- Approximately 77.5 hours of self directed study per semester which will include preparation for lectures and assessment tasks.
There are no course-specific inherent requirements.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed texts are not required. Course notes will be available through Wattle.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5857||24 Jul 2023||31 Jul 2023||31 Aug 2023||27 Oct 2023||In Person||N/A|