- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies
- Minor code ARAB-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Academic Contact Ms Leila Kouatly
Arabic is the mother language of over 250 million people in the Middle East (West Asia and North Africa), and one of the six official languages of the United Nations. Arabic is also the language of the Qur’an with special importance to all Muslims. Arabic is the language of an ancient civilization, which contributed greatly to human knowledge. Its influence is strongly felt on such languages as Persian, Turkish, Urdu, Indonesian and Malay, among others. Arabic is also the living medium of a contemporary dynamic literature and culture. Its rich and magnificent poetry, classical and modern, is especially captivating.
The minor is designed to develop the four skills of listening, speaking reading and writing in an integrated way. Courses use Modern Standard Arabic as the language of teaching.
- write texts in Arabic in the appropriate genre, with correct grammatical structures and thematic vocabulary relevant to the level of the student.
- read, comprehend and infer authors' meanings in newspapers, magazines, literary and critical texts written in Arabic.
- engage with authentic media such as Arabic news, movies or music by analysing and evaluating their content.
- communicate verbally in a variety of settings with proficient Arabic speakers.
- identify and differentiate aspects and issues of thecultures and societies associated with the Arabic language.
- Bachelor of Art History and Curatorship (BAHCR)
- Bachelor of Arts (BARTS)
- Bachelor of Asian Studies (BASIA)
- Bachelor of Development Studies (BDEVS)
- Bachelor of International Relations (BIR)
- Bachelor of Languages (BLANG)
- Bachelor of Middle Eastern and Central Asian Studies (BMECA)
- Diploma of Languages (ELANG)
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
A maximum of 12 units from the completion of the following list:
ARAB1002 - Introductory Arabic 1 (6 units)
ARAB1003 - Introductory Arabic 2 (6 units)
A minimum of 12 units from the completion of the following list:
ARAB2011 - Intermediate Arabic 1 (6 units)
ARAB2012 - Intermediate Arabic 2 (6 units)
ARAB3001 - Advanced Arabic 1 (6 units)
ARAB3002 - Advanced Arabic 2 (6 units)
ARAB3006 - Special Topics in Arabic (6 units)
ARAB3008 - Arabic Media 2 (6 units)
ARAB3010 - Applied Arabic (12 units)
ARAB3011 - Media Arabic 1 (6 units)Back to the top