- Total units 48 Units
- Areas of interest Chemistry
- Specialisation code CHEM-HSPC
- Academic career Undergraduate
The Chemistry Honours specialisation is intended for students who have a foundational knowledge of the field and are interested in undertaking an independent research project under the direction of a supervisor. The Honours specialization is usually taken full time for two consecutive semesters and includes research training, in-depth analysis of current concepts in the field as well as a substantial research project culminating in the production of a thesis. It provides a solid foundation in the basics of research, and can be an entry into many careers both within and outside of science, or a pathway to a PhD in chemistry.
- a major or equivalent in chemistry
- and with the written approval of an identified supervisor for the research project/thesis course.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Plan and engage in an independent and sustained critical investigation of a chosen research topic to generate new knowledge in an area of chemistry.
2. Systematically evaluate relevant theory and concepts in chemistry, relate these to appropriate methodologies and evidence and draw appropriate conclusions.
3. Analyse and interpret original chemistry research data
4. Demonstrate sufficient mastery to understand and apply relevant experimental techniques and methods in chemistry to collect original research data.
5. Communicate and justify complex concepts and results clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences.
• The assessment aligns with the learning outcomes and includes:
• Three specialist lecture courses (10% each) (LO2,3)
• Oral Defence (10%) (LO 2,3,4,5)
• Research Thesis (50%) (LO 1,2,3,4,5)
• Research Seminar (10%) (LO5)For more information on Honours year in Science, please visit:
For more information on how to apply for Honours in Science include deadlines, please visit:
- Bachelor of Biotechnology (Honours) (HBIOT)
- Bachelor of Environmental Studies (Honours) (HENVS)
- Bachelor of Genetics (Honours) (HGENE)
- Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours) (HMDSA)
- Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours) (HMEDS)
- Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) - Science (APHSC)
- Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) / Bachelor of Science (Honours) - ANU as home institution (APNSC)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) (Honours) (ASCAD)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) (HSC)