- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Environmental Studies
- Specialisation code ENPP-SPEC
- Academic career Postgraduate
- Academic Contact A/Prof Llewelyn Hughes
Environmental issues pose complex challenges for public policy. Governing issues such as biodiversity conservation, climate change, forest and fisheries management, and urban planning requires dealing with contested knowledge, uncertainty and risk, and balancing the needs and interests of humans and non-humans. In this specialisation students will analyse the challenges and opportunities that environmental issues present to public policy, and consider responses to these from national and international systems of governance.
Courses in the specialisation adopt an interdisciplinary approach and provide students with a grounding in relevant frameworks, theories and practical tools to analyse environmental issues and their governance. This specialisation is aimed at an ever-widening range of people who are, or are hoping to become, environmental professionals in government, business, and community sectors.
- Understand a variety of conceptual approaches to analysing environmental issues.
- Identify and examine significant environmental issues domestically and internationally using different disciplinary perspectives.
- Reflect critically on different approaches to resolving environmental problems, and apply these approaches creatively in different policy settings.
- Understand challenges relating to management, implementation and evaluation of policies related to environmental issues.
This specialisation requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:
24 units from completion of courses from the following list:
POGO8212 Governing the Energy Transition
EMDV8007 Communicating for Environment and Climate Policy
EMDV8009 Asia-Pacific Environmental Conflicts
EMDV8079 Water Justice, Management and Governance
EMDV8080 International Climate Change Policy and Economics
EMDV8081 Domestic Climate Change Policy and Economics
EMDV8101 Transformative Approaches to Socio-Environmental & Resource Economics
EMDV8103 Environmental Assessment
EMDV8104 Environmental Governance
ENVS8003 Climate Change Vulnerability and Adaptation
ENVS8016 Contemporary Perspectives in Environment-Society InteractionBack to the top