- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Policy Studies, Security Studies
- Specialisation code FODF-SPEC
- Academic career Postgraduate
- Academic Contact Dr Andy Kennedy
The foreign and defence policy specialisation offers students an opportunity to develop expertise in matters of national strategy and security. Through the specialisation, students will learn to analyse changes in the strategic environment, as well as how foreign and defence policies seek to drive and respond to those changes. Students will also develop expertise regarding the particular security challenges that confront states in the Asia-Pacific region, including Australia.
- Knowledgeably discuss the foreign and defence policies of a range of countries in the Asia-Pacific region, including Australia.
- Demonstrate a rich understanding of changes in the regional strategic environment.
- Develop new ideas regarding how governments in the region can enhance national security.
- Communicate ideas and analysis regarding the pursuit of national security to interested audiences.
This specialisation is available only to students undertaking the Master of Public Policy.
This specialisation requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:
24 units from completion of courses from the following list:
DIPL8002 Contemporary Challenges in Diplomacy
INTR8068 Making Foreign Policy
NSPO8006 National Security Policymaking
NSPO8009 Cyber and Emerging Technologies in National Security
NSPO8032 Geoeconomics and National Security
NSPO8033 Climate, the Environment and National Security
NSPO8034 China, America and National Security
NSPO8040 Gender and Security (3 units)
NSPO8041 Borders, Migration and Security (3 units)
NSPO8043 Pandemics, Infectious Diseases and National Security (3 units)
NSPO8047 How Canberra Works: a guide for security policymakers (3 units)
NSPO8049 Security in the Indo-Pacific (3 units)
POGO8045 International Policy Making in the Shadow of the Future
STST8001 Strategic Studies
STST8026 Nuclear Strategy in the Asian Century
STST8053 Alliances in Asia: theory, history and practice
STST8066 Strategy, Statecraft and Diplomacy for the 21st CenturyBack to the top