- Code MATH6203
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Department of Mathematics
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Mathematics
- Areas of interest Mathematics
This is a special topics course which introduces students to the key concepts and techniques of:
- First order logic
- Axiomatisation of set theory
- Model theory
- Godel's Incompleteness Theorem
Note: Graduate students attend joint classes with undergraduates but will be assessed separately.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Explain the fundamental concepts from the foundations of mathematics and its role in modern mathematics and applied contexts.
2. Demonstrate accurate and efficient use of logical and set theoretical techniques.
3. Demonstrate capacity for mathematical reasoning through analyzing, proving and explaining concepts from the foundations of mathematics.
Assessment will be based on:
- Three assignments (10% each; LO 1-3)
- Final examination (70%; LO 1-3)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Department of Mathematics to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Students continuing in their current program of study will have their tuition fees indexed annually from the year in which you commenced your program. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3496||17 Feb 2014||07 Mar 2014||31 Mar 2014||30 May 2014||In Person||N/A|