- Total units 24 Units
- Minor code ITAL-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Academic contact
Italian occupies a special position in Australia as a language of high culture and also a language spoken by one of the largest ethnic communities in the country. Students will have access to one of the richest European cultural traditions, from the Renaissance to the present day, and to the language of great opera, film, architecture, fashion and industrial design.
The Italian minor develops fluency in standard Italian and an understanding of idiomatic Italian. Attention is given to cultural, social and historical aspects of Italy. Language learning is thus integrated with the development of cultural awareness.
Language level placement tests are held prior to commencement.
Students are advised to check prerequisites carefully and plan their minor accordingly.
Graduates within the Italian Studies minor will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Communicate confidently with a proficient Italian speaker using their acquired oral and aural skills.
- Read, comprehend and infer authors' meanings in newspapers, magazines, literary and critical texts written in Italian.
- Write texts in Italian in the appropriate genre, with correct grammatical structures and thematic vocabulary relevant to the level of the student.
- Write brief creative/imaginative texts (poetry and short stories) individually and collaboratively
- Identify and differentiate aspects and issues of the cultures and societies associated with the Italian language
- Critique historical and cultural events related to Italian and its associated cultures and societies in a cross-cultural perspective
- Engage with authentic media such as Italian news, movies or music by analysing and evaluating their content.
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
A minimum of 12 units must come from completion of courses from the following list:
|ITAL1002||Italian Studies - Introductory I||6|
|ITAL1003||Italian Studies - Introductory 2||6|
|ITAL2005||Italian Studies Continuing 1||6|
|ITAL2006||Italian Studies - Continuing 2||6|
|ITAL2007||Italian Studies - Intermediate 1||6|
|ITAL2008||Italian Studies - Intermediate 2||6|
|ITAL3015||Italian Studies - Advanced 1||6|
|ITAL3016||Italian Studies - Advanced 2||6|
A maximum of 12 units may come from completion of courses from the following list:
|FILM2009||Postwar Italian Cinema||6|
|ITAL2009||Literature, History, Cinema: A-Three-Voice Dialogue||6|
|ITAL2010||Early Italian Literature from the Sicilian School to the Renaissance||6|
|ITAL2011||Italian flair: Cultural life style in today's Italy||6|
|ITAL2012||Italian for Singers and Opera Lovers 1||6|
|ITAL2013||Italian for Singers and Opera Lovers 2||6|
|ITAL2015||Language of institutions and diplomacy in Italy||6|
|ITAL3010||Politics, Culture and Society in Postwar Italy||6|
|ITAL3017||Apocalypse Then: Dante's Inferno||6|
|ITAL3018||Italiano/Standard e Regionale: Aspects of Spoken Italian||6|