- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest European Languages
- Minor code ITAL-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
- Academic Contact Dr Francesco Ricatti
The Italian Language & Culture Minor provides students with competence in the Italian language as well as a critical understanding of cultural, social and historical aspects of Italy. Language learning is integrated with the development of cultural awareness, and students have the opportunity to explore such areas as Italian sociolinguistics, cinema, music, gender studies, postcolonial, migration and women's literature. Students with existing knowledge of Italian can begin at a more advanced level, and the exact sequence of courses depends on the level at which the student begins the minor.
communicate in Italian in a range of contexts;
- demonstrate a basic understanding of the structure and uses of Italian;
- demonstrate a basic understanding of the cultural and linguistics aspects of Italian language and societies and their socio-historical context;
- construct a schema of the connections between the Italian language and its geographical, social and cultural origins; and
- recognise the importance of intercultural communication.
All Language Studies (LANG) courses must have a Course Topic of Italian to be included in this minor.
ITAL3015 and ITAL3016 may be completed more than once in a different Topic each instance.
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
18 - 24 units from the completion of the following:
ITAL1002 - Italian Studies - Introductory I
ITAL1003 - Italian Studies - Introductory 2
ITAL2005 - Italian Studies Continuing 1
ITAL2006 - Italian Studies - Continuing 2
ITAL3505 - Italian Studies - Intermediate I
ITAL3506 - Italian Studies - Intermediate II
ITAL3015 - Advanced Italian Topics in Language, Culture and Society
ITAL3016 - Advanced Italian Topics in Language and Literary Studies
ITAL3021 - Global Rome: Culture and Identity in the Italian Capital
A maximum of 6 units from the completion of the following list:
LANG3001 - Translation across Languages: The Translation of Literary Texts
LANG3002 - Translation across Languages: specialised material
LANG3007 - Romance Linguistics
LING2013 - Teaching LanguagesBack to the top