- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Translation Studies, Asian Studies, Asia Pacific Studies, Language Studies More...
- Minor code KORE-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
Korean is the official language of North and South Korea and there are currently about 78 million Korean speakers worldwide. Korean has a unique script called Han'g l, developed in the fifteenth century at the order of the king. It is a highly sophisticated alphabet that is remarkably easy to learn. As Australia’s future is increasingly tied to the countries in Asia, the importance of a language such as Korean will continue to grow. Knowledge of Korean is not only invaluable for understanding Korean society and culture but it is also a skill valued in a wide range of professions, both in Australia and internationally.
A student may not take a course if that course is a prerequisite for another course which they have already passed.
Students with prior knowledge of the language will be required to take a placement test.
By the end of the Korean language major students should be able to:
- express themselves confidently in a polite, neutral or informal register, appropriate to the genre and the audience;
- read, comprehend and infer authors’ meaning in newspapers, magazines, and literary texts in Korean;
- engage with authentic media such as television news broadcasts, movies, short stories and novels by summarizing, analysing, evaluating and criticizing their content;
- write texts in Korean in the appropriate genre, with correct grammatical structures and thematic vocabulary relevant to the level of the student;
- Write, perform and record presentations or interviews in Korean either individually or in cooperative groups, and answer questions based on those performances or interviews;
The course lists in the "Requirements" section below is a definitive list and includes all courses that can be counted towards the major, whether or not they are offered in the current year. For a list of courses that will be offered in the current year, please see the Summary of Courses page.
Areas of Interest
- Asian Languages
- Translation Studies
- Asian Studies
- Asia Pacific Studies
- Language Studies
- Asia-Pacific Studies
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
24 units from completion of the following course(s):
|KORE1020||Modern Korean 1||6|
|KORE1021||Modern Korean 2||6|
|KORE2521||Modern Korean 3||12|
|KORE2522||Modern Korean 4||12|
|KORE3012||Modern Korean 5||6|
|KORE3013||Modern Korean 6||6|
|KORE2015||Korean for Background Speakers A||6|
|KORE2016||Korean for Background Speakers B||6|
|KORE3009||Korean Seminar A||6|
|KORE3010||Korean Seminar B||6|