- Code MEAS2003
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Middle Eastern & Central Asian Studies
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies, History, Asian Studies, International Affairs, Central Asia Studies
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2015
See Future Offerings
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Identify the major issues and concepts of Turkish politics, history, people and culture.
- Demonstrate the impact of long state tradition and influence of political and military institutions on politics and culture in modern Turkey.
- Apply modern political concepts such as nation-building, political Islam, minority movements, legitimacy, and sovereignty to the Turkish case.
- Analyse the foreign policy of Turkey with an emphasis on the Middle East, Balkans and Caucasus.
Participation (10%) [Learning Outcomes 1-4]
Essay of 2500 words (40%) [Learning Outcomes 1-4]
Final Exam 3 hours (50%) [Learning Outcomes 1- 4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
One 2 hour lecture and one 1 hour tutorial per week for 13 weeks. Students are expected to undertake a further 7 hours of independent study each teaching week of the semester (total 130 hours).
Requisite and Incompatibility
Ahmad, F., The Making of Modern Turkey, New York: Routledge, 1993.
Lewis, B., The Emergence of Modern Turkey, London & Oxford & New York: Oxford University Press, 1967.
Zürcher, E. J., Turkey: A Modern History, London: IB Tauris, 2004.
Kalaycioglu, E., Turkish Dynamics: Bridge Across Troubled Lands, Gordonsville: Palgrave, Macmillan, 2005.
C¸arkog?lu, A. & Hale, W. (eds), The Politics of Modern Turkey: Critical Issues in Modern Politics (4 Volumes), London : Routledge, 2008.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3211||20 Jul 2015||07 Aug 2015||31 Aug 2015||30 Oct 2015||In Person||N/A|