- Code MKTG7028
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Management
- ANU College ANU College of Business and Economics
- Course subject Marketing
- Areas of interest Marketing
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Offered in See Future Offerings
This course introduces students to the process of developing and managing effective marketing communications. Central to the course is the idea of Integrated Marketing Communications (IMC) management. Specific topics include identifying promotional opportunities, corporate and brand image, advertising management, advertising design, media selection, consumer promotions, public relations and sponsorship and international advertising.
Communication activities represent an important part of most business activities. The subject Marketing Communication will provide students with techniques to improve the quality of their communications – from identifying the audience’s needs through to media planning and strategy.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon successful completion of the requirements for this course, students will be able to:
- appreciate the ways that communication through advertising influences and persuades consumers;
- discuss the role of the advertising agency and its client relationships;
- identify advertising's place in the communications mix;
- discuss the decisions which need to be made in budgeting and planning for promotion;
- research and prepare a profile of media habits for a given target market;
- set promotional objectives and identify their relationship with the strategic plan;
- identify and discuss a range of creative strategies in advertising;
- explain and illustrate Integrated Marketing Communication decision making and planning; and,
- devise a simple IMC and media schedule.
See the course outline on the College courses page. Outlines are uploaded as they become available.
- Readings and Analysis 10%
- Workshop presentation 10%
- Communication plan 30%
- Research Essay 20%
- Exam 30%
All components of the above assessment are compulsory and must be submitted. To achieve an automatic pass grade in this course you must obtain 50% or more as a scaled aggregate mark.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
2 hour seminar, 1 hour workshop plus private study time.
Basic knowledge of marketing (coursework equivalent of MKTG7001 Marketing or relevant work experience). Additionally, it would be useful to have competence in the following software packages: MS Word, MS PowerPoint.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|4726||15 Feb 2016||26 Feb 2016||31 Mar 2016||27 May 2016||In Person||N/A|