- Code ARAB3004
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Arabic
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies
This is a supervised research course that gives students an opportunity to complete an extended and focused piece of research using their Arabic language skills. Focal topics will be related to Arabic, Middle East, or Islamic Studies.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of some aspects of advanced Arabic writing styles.
- Extend their capacity to use syntactic and discourse structures appropriately to undertake research on a topic in Arabic.
- Demonstrate their ability to present their findings in a scholarly manner in Arabic.
- Demonstrate good linguistic skills and functional understanding of Arabic Language.
Indicative AssessmentThree stage essay in Arabic :
- Proposal, 150 words (5%);
- Progress report, 250 words (10%);and
- Final essay, 3100 words (40%)
Three stage oral presentation in Arabic:
- Proposal presentation, up to 5 minutes (5%);
- Progress report presentation, up to 7 minutes (10%); and
- Final presentation, up to 20 minutes (30%).
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
A mixture of language classes and research supervision equivalent to 2 hours per week for 13 weeks. Student are also expected to undertake a further 8 hours of independent study each teaching week of the semester (total 130 hours).
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
The lecturer will provide material selected from Arabic printed media, short stories, poems, novels and other sources.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2941||15 Feb 2016||26 Feb 2016||31 Mar 2016||27 May 2016||In Person||N/A|