- Code CHIN2022
- Unit Value 6 units
This course is the further oral component of a one-year intensive beginners program in Modern Standard Chinese (Putonghua or Mandarin).
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an increased oral competence, with an active vocabulary of approximately 500 words and expressions;
2. Accurately recognize, record and create oral and written texts in pinyin;
3. Show a more developed awareness of accurate pronunciation of tones, and an increased ability to achieve that accuracy when pronouncing words and speaking sentences;
4.Conduct a simple conversation with increased fluency on topics concerning everyday life;
5. Display an increased knowledge of and sensitivity towards Chinese culture through learning the language.
Indicative Assessment1. 4 in-class audio/oral quizzes: 20%
2. 10 weekly take-home exercises: 20%
3. Mid-semester exam: 20%
4. Class and tutorial attendance: 10%
5. Final exam: 30%
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
The course requires five hours of attendance per week.
Requisite and Incompatibility
New Practical Chinese Reader, Book 2.
New Practical Chinese Reader, Textbook 1 & 2, Workbook 1 & 2 (Beijing: Beijing Language and Culture University Press 2010.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8097||18 Jul 2016||29 Jul 2016||31 Aug 2016||28 Oct 2016||In Person||N/A|