- Code CHIN6041
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Chinese
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, English, Translation Studies, Asia Pacific Studies, Language Studies
This course is designed to introduce students to strategies and methods used in actual Chinese/English and English/Chinese translation, with examples from historical and recent published materials and comments from the lecturer.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Develop an understanding of issues both theoretical and methodological, pertaining to Chinese /English translation.
2. Acquire practical skills and knowledge needed of the problems encountered in Chinese/English translation and be able to apply this knowledge to their own practice.
3. Attain knowledge of the social and cultural contexts necessary to translate Chinese texts into English, in the appropriate formal or informal register,
Weekly homework- 50% (Learning outcomes 2 and 3)
Presentation and participation - 20% (Learning outcomes 1, 2 and 3)
Two major assignments (1,500 words mid-term and 3,000 words final)- 30% (Learning outcomes 1, 2 and 3)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Three contact hours per week
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the School of Culture History and Language to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8528||18 Jul 2016||29 Jul 2016||31 Aug 2016||28 Oct 2016||In Person||N/A|