- Code FREN1003
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject French
- Areas of interest Contemporary Europe, European Languages, European Studies, Language Studies
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Leslie Barnes
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
First Semester 2016
See Future Offerings
This course offers an introductory study of the language, giving grounding in basic communication skills, vocabulary, pronunciation and grammar sufficient to become functional at an elementary level, both in written and spoken French (e.g. learning tenses necessary to operate in the past, present and future). It introduces the reading of authentic short texts and provides listening practice to enable students to deal with everyday situations as well as to develop knowledge and understanding of French and francophone cultures and societies.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Communicate in basic French;
2. Understand and reproduce aspects of French pronunciation, including vowels, consonants, and basic intonation;
3. Compose short written texts;
4. Describe aspects of the world in French, including family, work, studies and physical appearances; express preferences; make comparisons;
5. Read and understand short authentic texts;
6. Listen to/watch and understand short audio and video extracts;
7. Appreciate aspects of contemporary francophone life and society and demonstrate awareness of the similarities and differences between their first cultures and francophone cultures.
Two in-class tests (written and listening comprehension, 35 minutes and 50 minutes): 15% and 25% (LOs: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
In-class pronunciation test (one page of material tested): 10% (LOs: 1, 2)
Composition (200 words): 20% (LOs: 3, 4)
In-class oral test (three pages of material tested): 20% (LOs: 1, 2, 4)
In-class and online participation: 10% (LOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
4 hours of classes per week for 13 weeks. Students are expected to commit a further 6 hours of independent study each teaching week of the semester (total 130 hours).
Requisite and Incompatibility
Information will be posted on Wattle prior to the course commencement.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2045||15 Feb 2016||26 Feb 2016||31 Mar 2016||27 May 2016||In Person||N/A|