- Code MUSI4402
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Music
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Music
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Julie Rickwood
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
Second Semester 2016
See Future Offerings
Each of the major specialised areas of music research (performance; composition, arranging, and sound design; and musicology, ethnomusicology, and music curatorship) have their own methodological traditions, and commonly applied conceptual approaches. While these musical fields certainly have different profiles and orientations, they nevertheless share some important issues and common methodological ground.
This course challenges the tendencies of fragmentation in music research where academic and artistic research is developed within different spheres. It will explore the nexus between various areas of musical scholarship giving students the opportunity to actively engage with, and critique, a wide variety of approaches to research. It will also explore how various approaches to research methodology may support and challenge each other.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon successful completion of this course, student will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Understand and evaluate a range of research methods in music across the many sub-disciplines in music.
- Apply a range of perspectives to music-related research and understand the symbiotic relationship between research and practice.
- Integrate understandings of a range of research methods with the student's own musical areas of study.
- Communicate and debate a range of themes, concepts and theories with peers.
Critical responses to discussions and reading, 300 words for each of weeks 3 to 12, 3000 words, 5% each, total 50% [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3]
Seminar participation 10% [Learning Outcomes 3-4]
Presented formal paper. Topic to be negotiated with course coordinator. Time limit 20 mins, 2500-3000 words, plus ten minute question time (35% paper, 5% question time; total 40%) [All Learning Outcomes]
NOTE: Attendance at a minimum of ten seminars is a hurdle requirement for passing this course.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
One three-hour seminar per week in the School of Music Research Seminar plus seven hours of private study.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7035||18 Jul 2016||29 Jul 2016||31 Aug 2016||28 Oct 2016||In Person||N/A|