• Offered by School of Music
  • ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
  • Course subject Music

Each of the major specialised areas of music research (performance; composition, arranging, and sound design; and musicology, ethnomusicology, and music curatorship) have their own methodological traditions, and commonly applied conceptual approaches. While these musical fields certainly have different profiles and orientations, they nevertheless share some important issues and common methodological ground.

This course challenges the tendencies of fragmentation in music research where academic and artistic research is developed within different spheres. It will explore the nexus between various areas of musical scholarship giving students the opportunity to actively engage with, and critique, a wide variety of approaches to research. It will also explore how various approaches to research methodology may support and challenge each other.
 

Learning Outcomes

Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:

Upon successful completion of this course, student will have the knowledge and skills to:

  1. Understand and evaluate a range of research methods in music across the many sub-disciplines in music.
  2. Apply a range of perspectives to music-related research and understand the symbiotic relationship between research and practice.
  3. Integrate understandings of a range of research methods with the student's own musical areas of study.
  4. Communicate and debate a range of themes, concepts and theories with peers.

Indicative Assessment

Critical responses to discussions and reading, 300 words for each of weeks 3 to 12, 3000 words, 5% each, total 50% [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3]

Seminar participation 10% [Learning Outcomes 3-4]

Presented formal paper. Topic to be negotiated with course coordinator. Time limit 20 mins, 2500-3000 words, plus ten minute question time  (35% paper, 5% question time; total 40%) [All Learning Outcomes]

NOTE: Attendance at a minimum of ten seminars is a hurdle requirement for passing this course.

The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.

Workload

130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 36 hours of seminars; and, b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.

Requisite and Incompatibility

To enrol in this course you must have completed MUSI4401. You are not able to enrol in this course if you have previously completed MUSI8001.

Prescribed Texts

None.

Specialisations

Fees

Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.  

If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.

Student Contribution Band:
1
Unit value:
6 units

If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.  Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.

Units EFTSL
6.00 0.12500
Domestic fee paying students
Year Fee
2017 $2652
International fee paying students
Year Fee
2017 $4080
Note: Please note that fee information is for current year only.

Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links

The list of offerings for future years is indicative only.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.

Second Semester

Class number Class start date Last day to enrol Census date Class end date Mode Of Delivery Class Summary
7031 24 Jul 2017 31 Jul 2017 31 Aug 2017 27 Oct 2017 In Person N/A

Responsible Officer: Registrar, Student Administration / Page Contact: Website Administrator / Frequently Asked Questions