- Code SOCY6045
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Sociology
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Sociology
- Areas of interest Sociology
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- To provide a basic understanding of the dynamics of global change;
- To appreciate the political and historical developments that have influenced the 'making of the Third World';
- To be able to examine the rhetoric and the reality behind contemporary concepts or codewords, such as 'progress', 'modernisation', 'development' and 'globalisation';
- To appreciate the complex interlinkages between the 'global' and the 'local';
- To be able to to produce an argument and marshal evidence for it in written work on development;
- To be able to develop a reasoned position on various issues in development.
Indicative AssessmentThree reflective markers on student engagement with material and progress (600 words -10%; 750 words 15%; 1000 words 20%); research essay 3,500 words 45%; tutorial participation 10%.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadIs three hours contact per week (2 lectures and 1 tutorial) over 11 weeks, plus tutorial preparation time plus 2 weeks essay preparation and one hour course summary final lecture.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8267||18 Jul 2016||29 Jul 2016||31 Aug 2016||28 Oct 2016||In Person||N/A|