- Code SPAN2107
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Spanish
- Areas of interest Latin American Languages, Language Studies, Latin American Studies
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Consuelo Martinez Reyes
- Mode of delivery Blended
- Co-taught Course
Second Semester 2016
See Future Offerings
This course will provide students with an introduction to contemporary cinema from diverse parts of Latin America and Spain, from the 1960s to the present. We will consider themes such as homosexuality, political dissidence, violence and 'otherness'. We will also reflect on the social, economic, and political contexts in which the production of these films took place. We will debate the ways in which Latin American cinema differentiates itself from Hollywood, the scarcity of female directors and the topics women bring to the screen, among other issues. We may note thematic similarities and differences between cinema from Latin American and Spain.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Analyse visual representations of Latin American and/or Spanish cultural issues, both through discussion and reading established academic research on it.
- Understand recent directions in contemporary Latin American film and cultural production, including links to Spanish and global film production contexts.
- Critically engage with a range of cinematic texts and secondary literature.
- Refine listening comprehension skills through interaction with "native" cultural materials (not edited or produced for teaching).
- Demonstrate a high level of Spanish skills in reading, writing and speaking.
Indicative AssessmentWeekly Response Journal (200w x 5 weeks = 1000 words x semester) in Spanish (40%) [LOs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Film analysis (1000 words) in Spanish (35%) [LOs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
Oral presentation in Spanish, Recorded, 15-mins (15%) [LOs 1, 2, 3, 5]
Class participation (10%) [LOs 1, 2, 3, 5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadA 2 hour lecture, 1 hour tutorial, and 2 hour film screening per week for 13 weeks. Students are expected to commit a further 5 hours of independent study per teaching week over the semester (total 130 hours).
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|9706||18 Jul 2016||29 Jul 2016||31 Aug 2016||28 Oct 2016||In Person||N/A|