- Total units 24 Units
- Minor code RUSS-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
Russian is the language of a major world power and the common language, or lingua franca, of many millions of people in the countries of the former Union of Soviet Socialist Republics. It is the basis of a unique literary culture, of film, drama and opera, and the language of a large body of scientific literature. It is also the language of a large immigrant community in Australia. The Russian minor provides the linguistic grounding on which students may build a familiarity with that rich cultural tradition.
Courses in this minor are offered through ANU and Macquarie University in distance mode. For the purpose of the minor, 3 credit points from Macquarie University is the equivalent to 6 units from ANU.
This minor is designed for students with no prior knowledge of Russian.
On successful completion of this minor, students will be able to:
- read, comprehend and infer authors’ meanings in media such as newspapers, magazines, literary and academic texts written in Russian
- engage in short conversations in Russian with clarity and accuracy
- Write texts in Russian with correct script and grammatical structures, and appropriate vocabulary
- Identify aspects of Russian-speaking cultures and societies as evident in Russian language texts and other media.
- Bachelor of Art History and Curatorship (BAHCR)
- Bachelor of Arts (BARTS)
- Bachelor of Arts/Master of International Affairs (BARTVMIA)
- Bachelor of Development Studies (BDEVS)
- Bachelor of European Studies (BEURO)
- Bachelor of International Relations (BIR)
- Bachelor of International Security Studies (BINSS)
- Bachelor of Languages (BLANG)
- Bachelor of Middle Eastern and Central Asian Studies (BMECA)
- Diploma of Languages (ELANG)
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must include:
12 units from completion of compulsory courses through ANU:
12 units from the completion courses from the following list:
Through Macquarie University:
RSN250 Intermediate Russian I (3 credit points / 6 units)
RSN255 Intermediate Russian II (3 credit points / 6 units)
LANG3001 Translation across Languages: the translation of literary texts - Russian (6 units)
LANG3002 Translation across Languages: the translation of specialised material - Russian (6 units)
POLS2069 Politics in Russia (6 units)