- Total units 48 Units
- Areas of interest Cell and Molecular Biology, Neuroscience, Genetics
- Specialisation code NEUR-HSPC
- Academic career Undergraduate
The Neuroscience Honours specialisation is intended for students who have a foundational knowledge of the field and are interested in undertaking an independent research project under the direction of a supervisor. The Honours specialisation is usually taken full time for two consecutive semesters and includes research training, in-depth analysis of current concepts in the field as well as a substantial research project culminating in the production of a thesis. Honours is a solid foundation in the basics of research, and can be an entry to careers in laboratory work, a degree in postgraduate medicine, or a pathway to a PhD.
Satisfaction of the admission requirements described in the relevant honours plan and:
- with a specialisation or equivalent in neuroscience and physiology.
- and with the written approval of an identified supervisor for the research project.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Plan and engage in an independent and sustained critical investigation of a chosen research topic to generate new knowledge in an area of neuroscience.
2. Systematically evaluate relevant theory and concepts in neuroscience, relate these to appropriate methodologies and evidence and draw appropriate conclusions.
3. Analyse and interpret original neuroscience research data with statistical or other evaluative processes where appropriate.
4. Demonstrate sufficient mastery to understand and apply relevant experimental techniques and methods in neuroscience to collect original research data.
5. Communicate and justify complex concepts and results clearly and effectively to a variety of audiences.
The assessment aligns with the learning outcomes and includes:
Research Proposal and Introductory Seminar (10%) (LO1,2,4,5)
Journal Club Program (20%) including written critiques of journal articles and an oral presentation (LO 2, 5)
Research Thesis (60%) (LO 1,2,3,4,5)
Research Seminar (10%) (LO5)
- Bachelor of Biotechnology (Honours) (HBIOT)
- Bachelor of Environmental Studies (Honours) (HENVS)
- Bachelor of Genetics (Honours) (HGENE)
- Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies (Sustainability) (Honours) (HISSU)
- Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours) (HMDSA)
- Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours) (HMEDS)
- Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) - Science (APHSC)
- Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) / Bachelor of Science (Honours) - ANU as home institution (APNSC)
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) (Honours) (ASCAD)
- Bachelor of Science (Forest Sciences) (Honours) (HSFOR)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) (HSC)
- Bachelor of Science (Resource and Environmental Management) (Honours) (HSREM)