- Code ASIA2083
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Asian Studies
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Asia Pacific Studies
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Timothy Hassall
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
First Semester 2017
See Future Offerings
The course is for students who have demonstrated an upper intermediate level of proficiency or above in one of the major Southeast or South Asian languages taught in the School (Hindi, Indonesian, Thai, Vietnamese or Sanskrit). Enrolled students conduct an independent research project under the supervision of a member of academic staff, on a common theme that may change from semester to semester. Students will arrange to meet with their supervisor on a regular basis to create a project in their target language. Enrolment in this course is contingent on the availability of appropriate supervisors.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate having significantly increased their proficiency in reading and writing in the language at the level studied.
2. Demonstrate having deepened their ability to discuss in the target language complex ideas about a given discipline or topic area.
3. Demonstrate substantial knowledge about that discipline/ area and ability to critically analyse texts within it.
4. Have demonstrated that they have read a significant number of the key sources about the discipline/ area that they have studied for the course.
5. Demonstrate generic skills, eg, critical thinking, written and oral communication, research skills.
Enrolment is contingent on appropriate supervisors being available to work with students.
This is a co-taught course. Any cap on enrolments in one course applies to both courses combined.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadFortnightly meetings with Course Coordinator or Supervisor. Students are expected to read a selected set of readings, as agreed with the supervisor, in academic and non-academic texts in the target language, and demonstrate the ability to discuss the various subjects studied in the selected readings.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the School of Culture History and Language to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|4173||20 Feb 2017||27 Feb 2017||31 Mar 2017||26 May 2017||In Person||N/A|
|4174||20 Feb 2017||27 Feb 2017||31 Mar 2017||26 May 2017||Online||N/A|