- Total units 48 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Asian Studies, Asia Pacific Studies, Language Studies
- Major code HIND-MAJ
- Academic career Undergraduate
<iframe width="420" height="235" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5_Gdbz_nnx4?rel=0"frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Hindi is the primary official language of India, and as such is crucial for a student with a passion for India and its culture and society. India lies just over the horizon of most Australians’ perceptions, but the coming rise of this massive nation and its concomitant importance for Australia means that a knowledge of Hindi will be economically invaluable in the very near future.
Students in this major are encouraged to spend time studying at a tertiary institution in India through a year of study in the flagship Year in Asia program. Competitive scholarships are available to qualified students.
A student may not take a course if that course is a prerequisite for another course which they have already passed.
Students with prior knowledge of the language will be required to take a placement test and may be exempted from the compulsory course.
By the end of the Hindi language major students should be able to:
- express themselves well in a formal or informal register, appropriate to the situation and to the people to whom one is speaking.
- read and understand newspapers and other texts in Hindi
- engage with authentic Hindi language media
- write in Hindi in an appropriate style in the Devanagari script using the correct grammar and the vocabulary appropriate the genre, contents and audience
- Write, perform and record presentations or interviews in Hindi either individually or in cooperative groups, and answer questions based on those performances or interviews
The course lists in the "Requirements" section below is a definitive list and includes all courses that can be counted towards the major, whether or not they are offered in the current year. For a list of courses that will be offered in the current year, please see the Summary of Courses page.
- Bachelor of Arts (BARTS)
- Bachelor of Asia-Pacific Studies (Year in Asia) (BAPYA)
- Bachelor of Asian Studies (BASIA)
- Bachelor of European Studies (BEURO)
- Bachelor of Languages (BLANG)
- Bachelor of Latin American Studies (BLAMS)
- Bachelor of Middle Eastern and Central Asian Studies (BMECA)
- Diploma of Languages (ELANG)
This major requires the completion of 48 units, which must include:
6 units from completion of the following course(s):
42 units from completion of the following course(s):
|HIND2525||Learning Language Locally: India||6-12|
|ASIA2083||Readings in South and Southeast Asian Cultures||6|
|ASIA2103||Language in Asia (L)||6|
|ASIA3006||Practical Assignment in Asia and the Pacific||6-12|
|ASIA3108||Advanced Readings in South and Southeast Asian Cultures||6|
|URDU 2300: Urdu 2A|
|URDU 2400: Urdu 2B|