- Code HIST6007
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of History
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject History
- Areas of interest History
This course aims to develop students’ capacities in historical research and writing. In particular, it will assist students to undertake an historical research project using primary source materials, and to present their work in a form appropriate to its subject matter, purpose and audience. Through a program of seminars, workshops, site visits and feedback, each student will formulate an independent research proposal, conduct research using a variety of historical sources, and construct a research output. Students will be invited to reflect on questions of theory, historiography, methodology, ethics, audience and presentation in historical research and communication.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, student will be able to:
1. Identify, analyse and select from a range of theoretical and historiographical approaches to interpreting the past in designing a methodologically sound historical research proposal
2. Locate and interpret a wide variety of primary source materials in libraries and archives
3. Locate and evaluate the relevant historiography
4. Provide and respond to feedback in the process of identifying and formulating solutions to complex historical questions.
5. Construct a substantial research-based historical project in a form suitable to its content, stated purpose and target audience
6. Reflect on and apply the discipline's ethical conventions
7. Identify and reflect on the major characteristics of professional practice in historical research and writing
- Primary Source Evaluation (800 words): 10% Learning Outcome 2
- Historiographical Reflection (800 words): 10% Learning Outcomes 1 and 3
- Research Project Proposal (1000 words): 15% Learning Outcomes 1, 2 and 3
- Research Project (4000 words) – Research Project Draft Version: 15%
Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- Research Project (5000 words) – Research Project Final Version: 50% Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 29 contact hours over 12 weeks: 24 hours of seminars; 4 hours of site visits and 1 hour of individual consultation with a project supervisor b) 101 hours in independent student, research, reading and writing
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsAnn Curthoys and Ann McGrath, How to Write History That People Want to Read. Sydney: UNSW Press, 2009.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8454||24 Jul 2017||31 Jul 2017||31 Aug 2017||27 Oct 2017||In Person||N/A|
|9533||24 Jul 2017||31 Jul 2017||31 Aug 2017||27 Oct 2017||Online||N/A|