- Code ITAL6504
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Italian
- Areas of interest European Languages, Linguistics and Applied Linguistics, Visual Arts, European Studies, Literature
This course continues the probing review of the Italian language begun in ITAL2005, or equivalent. The course integrates music and literature to further the linguistic and cultural learning objectives of the unit. Active language production is encouraged in classroom situations such as role playing, structured conversations and reading and writing activities. Class time is divided between interactive language work, linguistic reflection and Italian culture and society. The assessment is designed to optimise learning through tasks that presume a holistic conception of language and culture learning.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- understand a range of texts, written (including poetry), aural and visual on different topics relating to linguistic and intercultural areas (stereotypes about Italians; media; literature; the ‘new' Italian family; folk traditions; the environment);
- interact orally with a degree of fluency and spontaneity;
- present analyses and sustain critical opinions about a variety of issues and texts fluently and accurately;
- conduct independent research for projects on Italian language, culture and society;
- apply their skills (grammatical, lexical and cultural) to write, coherently and accurately, descriptive, analytical and imaginative texts (poetry) comparing their own culture to the target culture/s.
Indicative AssessmentOnline (Wattle) and workbook activities, ongoing 1-2 hr per week, (10%) [Learning Outcome 1]
Oral presentation (recorded), 10 min each, (15%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3]
Reading comprehension task, 200 words, (20%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4]
Listening comprehension test (in class), 10 min, (5%) [Learning Outcome 1]
Written assignment (in Italian), 600 words, (25%), [Learning Outcomes 1,3 ,4]
Essay, 1200 words, (25%) [Learning Outcomes 2, 3, 4, 5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact: 4 hours of class time per week..
b) 82 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8006||24 Jul 2017||31 Jul 2017||31 Aug 2017||27 Oct 2017||In Person||N/A|