- Total units 24 Units
- Specialisation code ITAL-SPEC
- Academic career Postgraduate
ANU is Australia’s leading university in research and teaching of languages. Make the most of your opportunity to learn a new language, or extend your knowledge of a language you already know, while applying to this language the skills of analysis and description that you will master in your degree.
Specialists from the ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences will equip you with critical language learning approaches and an in-depth understanding of how to apply that knowledge.
You will be taught by Italian Studies specialists, linguists and experts in oral, dramatic and textual arts.
This specialisation will advance your career in language-related and cross-cultural work in government and non-government organisations, language technologies or as an independent language practitioner or researcher.
Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate general fluency in oral and written expression as well as in aural and reading comprehension, covering expression in different registers from everyday language use to academic language;
- express themselves orally and in writing in different genres;
- understand key aspects of culture, history, politics and society;
- demonstrate intercultural awareness, including critically comparing and reflecting on cross-cultural differences between Italian-speaking and Australian cultures and/or their native culture; and
- conduct research on a topic related to Italian and its associated cultures, and to write an essay on their research outcomes.
This specialisation requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:
A minimum of 12 units must come from completion of courses from the following list:
|ITAL6501||Italian Studies - Introductory I||6|
|ITAL6502||Italian Studies Introductory 2||6|
|ITAL6503||Italian Studies Continuing 1||6|
|ITAL6504||Italian Studies Continuing II||6|
|ITAL6505||Italian Studies - Intermediate 2||6|
|ITAL6506||Italian Studies Intermediate II||6|
|ITAL 6507: Early Italian Literature from|
|ITAL6509||Advanced Italian Topics in Language, Culture and Society||6|
|ITAL6510||Advanced Italian Topics in Language and Literary Studies||6|
A maximum of 12 units may come from completion of courses from the following list:
|LANG6001||Translation across Languages: The Translation of Literary Texts||6|
|LANG6002||Translation across Languages: Specialised Materials||6|