- Total units 24 Units
- Minor code AGER-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
The Advanced German Studies Minor is aimed at students who already have an advanced language competence. The objective is that students develop a critical understanding of the German-speaking cultures whilst continuing to improve their fluency in the language, in reading and listening comprehension as well as oral and written expression. Students can choose from courses in German language, linguistics, literature, society and cultural studies, including film and gender studies.
German is the most commonly spoken first language in the European Union. With a rich literary and philosophical heritage, German is a language of culture, science, technology, trade and international relations. This role has increased since Germany's reunification with Germany playing a leading role in European politics. Its capital Berlin boasts a dynamic art scene and has become a centre of global youth culture: “Berlin ist cool!”
On successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- express viewpoints and develop arguments confidently in German, incorporating complex sentence structures. Students can expect to achieve approximately the B2 level or higher of the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
- use the language for academic purposes, e.g. essay writing with referencing, class presentations, and research related to the German language and associated cultures.
- read, understand, and analyse German literary texts, films, and a range of print, visual and digital media in the context of German-speaking cultures.
- demonstrate an understanding of the modern history of the German-speaking countries.
- demonstrate intercultural awareness.
- Bachelor of Art History and Curatorship (BAHCR)
- Bachelor of Arts (BARTS)
- Bachelor of Development Studies (BDEVS)
- Bachelor of European Studies (BEURO)
- Bachelor of International Relations (BIR)
- Bachelor of Languages (BLANG)
- Bachelor of Latin American Studies (BLAMS)
- Bachelor of Middle Eastern and Central Asian Studies (BMECA)
- Diploma of Languages (ELANG)
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:
A maximum of 12 units from completion of courses from the following list:
GERM3007 German Studies: Advanced German 1
GERM3008 German Studies: Advanced German 2
A maximum of 24 units from completion of courses from the following list:
GERM2020 Postwar German Society
GERM2048 Spoken Interaction in German: Theory and Practice
GERM2113 German Film Since the Wall: Identity, History and Belonging
GERM3020 Contemporary German Society
GERM3048 Spoken Interaction in German: Theory and Practice
GERM3049 Berlin Stories: Places, Words, Images
GERM3050 Gender in German Culture: From Goethe to Trans*
GERM3051 German Literature and Culture Today
A maximum of 12 units from completion of courses from the following list, which must be completed in a German topic:
LANG3001 Translation across Languages: the translation of literary texts
LANG3002 Translation across Languages: specialised material
LANG3003 European Narrative
LANG3005 Language and Identity in a European ContextBack to the top