- Total units 24 Units
- Minor code GERM-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
The German Language & Culture Minor is aimed at students developing proficiency in the German language as well as a critical understanding of the German-speaking cultures. Students can choose from courses in German language, linguistics, literature, society and cultural studies, including film and gender studies. The exact sequence of courses depends on students’ language proficiency when beginning with the minor. Language level placement tests are held prior to commencement.
German is the most commonly spoken first language in the European Union. With a rich literary and philosophical heritage, German is a language of culture, science, technology, trade and international relations. This role has increased since Germany's reunification with Germany playing a leading role in European politics. Its capital Berlin boasts a dynamic art scene and has become a centre of global youth culture: “Berlin ist cool!”
On successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. use the language in a range of contexts.
2. demonstrate a sound understanding of the structure and uses of German. Students can expect to achieve approximately the B1 level or higher of the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
3. read, understand, and analyse German literary texts, films, and a range of print, visual and digital media in the context of German-speaking cultures.
4. demonstrate a basic understanding of the modern history of the German-speaking countries.
5. demonstrate intercultural awareness.
- Bachelor of Art History and Curatorship (BAHCR)
- Bachelor of Arts (BARTS)
- Bachelor of Development Studies (BDEVS)
- Bachelor of European Studies (BEURO)
- Bachelor of International Relations (BIR)
- Bachelor of International Security Studies (BINSS)
- Bachelor of Languages (BLANG)
- Bachelor of Latin American Studies (BLAMS)
- Bachelor of Middle Eastern and Central Asian Studies (BMECA)
- Bachelor of Pacific Studies (BPAST)
- Diploma of Languages (ELANG)
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:
A minimum of 6 units from completion of courses from the following list:
GERM1021 German Studies: Introduction to German 1
GERM1022 German Studies: Introduction to German 2
GERM2103 German Studies: Continuing German 1
GERM2104 German Studies: Continuing German 2
GERM2105 German Studies: Intermediate German 1
GERM3106 German Studies: Intermediate German 2
A maximum of 18 units from completion of courses from the following list:
GERM2020 Contemporary German Society
GERM2048 Spoken Interaction in German: Theory and Practice
GERM2113 German Film Since the Wall: Identity, History and Belonging
GERM3007 German Studies: Advanced German 1
GERM3008 German Studies: Advanced German 2
GERM3020 Contemporary German Society
GERM3048 Spoken Interaction in German: Theory and Practice
GERM3049 Berlin Stories: Places, Words, Images
GERM3050 Gender in German Culture: From Goethe to Trans*
GERM3051 German Literature and Culture Today
A maximum of 6 units from completion of courses from the following list, which must be completed in a German topic:
LANG3001 Translation across Languages: the translation of literary texts
LANG3002 Translation across Languages: specialised material
LANG3003 European Narrative
LANG3005 Language and Identity in a European ContextBack to the top