- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Asian Studies, Asia Pacific Studies, Asia-Pacific Studies
- Minor code TETM-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
Tetum is the language of Timor. The study of Tetum is essential for anyone wishing to understand Timor’s society, culture and history. The ANU is the only university in Australia where Tetum is taught, and students have the opportunity to complete a full minor. Timor is a close neighbour of Australia and ties between these countries are increasing through international security, trade and development projects. Students completing a minor in Tetum will be uniquely placed to engage with the Timorese people, state, and society. The four courses needed to complete the minor are not offered on campus, but are instead available 100% online and can be studied from anywhere. Students who complete the Tetum language minor will have obtained an intermediate level command of the Tetum language.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Communicate in Tetum, appropriate to the situation and to the people to whom one is speaking, at an intermediate level
2. Read and understand newspapers and other texts in Tetum
3. Engage with authentic Tetum language media at an intermediate level
4. Write and speak in Tetum using correct grammar, appropriate to the genre, contents and audience at an intermediate level
5. Work in cooperative groups on practical activities to communicate findings in intermediate Tetum to other course members.