- Length 2 year full-time
- Minimum 96 Units
- Academic plan 7828XMMDSA
- CRICOS code NO CRICOS
- Academic contact
The Master of Military and Defence Studies (Advanced) requires the completion of 96 units, which must consist of:
12 units from completion of STST8102 Strategy
60 units from completion of courses from the following list:
STST8100 Australia's Strategic and Defence Policy
STST8104 Operations II
STST8105 Operations III
STST8106 Operations I
STST8107 International Law and Operations
STST8108 Special Topic in Military and Defence Studies
STST8117 Command and Leadership
STST8121 Art of War I
STST8122 Art of War II
STST8123 Art of War III
STST8124 Art of War IV
24 units from completion of STST7005 Sub-Thesis in Military and Defence Studies
There is no direct admission to the MMilDefStAdv. Admission is by application only, on the basis of performance in identified coursework Master of Military and Defence Studies, and is subject to the approval by the Delegated Authority, and the supervisory capacity of the Strategic and Defence Studies Centre.
All applicants must meet the University’s English Language Admission Requirements for Students
ANU offers a wide range of scholarships to students to assist with the cost of their studies.
Eligibility to apply for ANU scholarships varies depending on the specifics of the scholarship and can be categorised by the type of student you are. Specific scholarship application process information is included in the relevant scholarship listing.
For further information see the Scholarships website.
The Master of Military and Defence Studies (Advanced) is delivered as part of the ANU partnership with the Australian Command and Staff College of the Australian Defence Force, and only open to students who have been posed as course members to the Australian Command and Staff College, and have demonstrated academic excellence in the identified coursework modules of the Master of Military and Defence Studies.
The Master of Military and Defence Studies (Advanced) combines the coursework of the Master of Military and Defence Studies (72 Units) with additional intensive coursework and a 24-unit research thesis.
Graduates from ANU have been rated as Australia's most employable graduates and among the most sought after by employers worldwide.
The latest Global Employability University Ranking, published by the Times Higher Education, rated ANU as Australia's top university for getting a job for the fourth year in a row.
On satisfying the requirements of this program, students should have demonstrated:
- Specialised knowledge in, and an integrated understanding of, strategy, military operations, and their relationship to policy.
- An ability to analyse and critique key scholarly works and, where applicable, policy documents relevant to their chosen research area.
- An ability to analyse, critically, reflect on and synthesise complex information relating to the conduct of strategy and military operations;
- An ability to apply established theories and concepts to practical problems in a contemporary setting, and exercise expert judgement in military, defence or policy contexts;
- High levels of written and oral communication in the field of strategic and defence studies.
- An ability to frame and research a rigorous and original piece of scholarship that adheres to academic conventions, such as appropriate referencing, a clear and coherent structure, an appropriate balance between description and analysis, and a clear and original line of argument