- Length 2 year full-time
- Minimum 96 Units
- Academic plan 7828XMMDSA
- CRICOS code NO CRICOS
- Academic contact
The Master of Military and Defence Studies (Advanced) is delivered as part of the ANU partnership with the Australian Command and Staff College of the Australian Defence Force, and only open to students who have been posed as course members to the Australian Command and Staff College, and have demonstrated academic excellence in the identified coursework modules of the Master of Military and Defence Studies.
The Master of Military and Defence Studies (Advanced) combines the coursework of the Master of Military and Defence Studies (72 Units) with additional intensive coursework and a 24-unit research thesis.
Graduates from ANU have been rated as Australia's most employable graduates and among the most sought after by employers worldwide.
The latest Global Employability University Ranking, published by the Times Higher Education, rated ANU as Australia's top university for getting a job for the fourth year in a row.
On satisfying the requirements of this program, students should have demonstrated:
1. Master the specialised theoretical and integrated learning in strategy, military operations, command and leadership and Australian foreign and defence policy.
2. Investigate, analyse, and critique complex scholarly works and, where applicable, policy documents relevant to strategy, military operations, command and leadership and Australian foreign and defence policy.
3. Synthesize complex theories relating to the conduct of strategy, military operations, command and leadership and Australia foreign and defence policy.
4. Generate and evaluate complex ideas to practical problems in a contemporary setting and exercise judgment in military, defence or policy contexts.
5. Design, evaluate, and analyse developments in strategy, military operations, command and leadership and Australian foreign and defence policy.
6. Justify and interpret theoretical propositions, methodologies and conclusions in strategy, military operations, command and leadership and Australian foreign and defence policy.
7. Design, theorise and research a rigorous and original piece of scholarship that demonstrates a mastery of theoretical knowledge and communication and technical research skills.
There is no direct admission to the MMilDefStAdv. Admission is by application only, on the basis of performance in identified coursework in the Master of Military and Defence Studies, and is subject to the approval by the Delegated Authority, and the supervisory capacity of the Strategic and Defence Studies Centre.
History, Political Science, International Relations, Economics, Philosophy, English, Engineering, Sociology, Social Science
English Language Requirements
All applicants must meet the University’s English Language Admission Requirements for Students.
Assessment of Qualifications
Unless otherwise indicated, ANU will accept all Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) qualifications or international equivalents that meet or exceed the published admission requirements of our programs, provided all other admission requirements are also met. Where an applicant has more than one completed tertiary qualification, ANU will base assessment on the qualification that best meets the admission requirements for the program. Find out more about the Australian Qualifications Framework: www.aqf.edu.au
ANU uses a 7-point Grade Point Average (GPA) scale. All qualifications submitted for admission at ANU will be converted to this common scale, which will determine if an applicant meets our published admission requirements. Find out more about how a 7-point GPA is calculated for Australian universities: www.uac.edu.au/future-applicants/admission-criteria/tertiary-qualifications
Unless otherwise indicated, where an applicant has more than one completed tertiary qualification, ANU will calculate the GPA for each qualification separately. ANU will base assessment on the best GPA of all completed tertiary qualifications of the same level or higher.
ANU offers a wide range of scholarships to students to assist with the cost of their studies.
Eligibility to apply for ANU scholarships varies depending on the specifics of the scholarship and can be categorised by the type of student you are. Specific scholarship application process information is included in the relevant scholarship listing.
For further information see the Scholarships website.
The Master of Military and Defence Studies (Advanced) requires the completion of 96 units, which must consist of:
24 units of the following courses:
48 units from the following compulsory units for the Advanced program:
48 units from the following compulsory units for the Advanced (Art of War) program:
24 units from the following:
STST7005F Sub-thesis in Military Studies (24 units)