- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages
- Specialisation code MNGL-SPEC
- Academic career Postgraduate
Mongolian is the official language of Mongolia and across its varying dialects is spoken by close to 10 million people in Mongolia and China. By learning the Mongolian language students will gain a deeper understanding into the rich culture, history, customs, and society of the Mongolian people. In recent years links between Australia and Mongolia have grown through shared stakes in industry, regional security issues, climate change and tertiary education. Students completing a specialisation in Mongolian will be uniquely placed to engage with this important partner through trade, diplomacy and cultural collaboration. Students who complete the Mongolian language specialisation will have obtained an intermediate command of the Mongolian language.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Express themselves in Mongolian, appropriate to the situation and to the people to whom one is speaking, at an intermediate level
2. Read and understand newspapers and other short extracts from mass media published in Mongolian
3. Engage with Mongolian people to discuss their work, education and lifestyle at an intermediate level
4. Write in intermediate Mongolian using the Cyrillic script and correct grammar, appropriate to the genre, contents and audience,
5. Work in cooperative groups on practical activities to communicate findings in intermediate Mongolian to other course members.