- Code BIAN3021
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Archaeology and Anthropology
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Biological Anthropology
- Areas of interest Biological Anthropology, Environmental Studies, Zoology, Biology, Biodiversity Conservation
With the majority of primate species being threatened with habitat change from both anthropogenic and natural causes, there are serious implications for the viability of many species, as well as for the ecosystems which they inhabit. By examining threats to nonhuman primates we will also be looking at threats to these ecosystems in general and investigating options for long term conservation and viability. Some of the threats to be considered are habitat loss (both natural and anthropogenic), hunting of species for human consumption or medicinal use, the pet trade, and disease risk to humans and non-human primates that may result from such practices. We will investigate issues of primate conservation by first understanding how primate biology and how intrinsic and extrinsic factors influence their vulnerability to threats. We will then look at how they interact with their natural environment and how we can determine population viability using population demographics, life history data and genetic variation. We will then discuss the primary causes of declines in primate populations, including analyses of major threats.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Integrate information learned about primate species biology and ecology with information regarding tropical forest dynamics to think about population viability and conservation in the long term;
- Identify key threats to primate species and the ecosystems they inhabit;
- Select and combine information from a variety of academic resources to identify the pros and cons of commonly used conservation tactics and to critically evaluate the role of conservation agencies in past and current conservation projects;
- Use a case study of the use of local traditions in grassroots conservation initiatives to understand how different cultures view primates and the importance of conserving them and their habitat; and
- Use historical examples to predict how biodiversity regions may be expected to respond to current habitat changes, both due to natural and anthropogenic phenomenon and to determine which species are more or less vulnerable to these new threats.
Indicative AssessmentTwo midterm examinations, 60 minutes each (15% and 10% for a total of 25%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2]
Essay proposal, 250 words (5%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3]
Essay, 3000 words (35%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3]
Tutorial presentation, 35 minutes (20%) [Learning Outcomes 4, 5]
Online discussion, 1500 words (15%) [Learning Outcome 5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 24 hours of lectures and 12 hours of workshop and workshop-like activities; and
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsCowlishaw G. & Dunbar, R. 2000. Primate Conservation Biology. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8963||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||In Person||N/A|