- Code JPNS6023
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Japanese
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Cultural Studies, History, Sociology, Asian Studies
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills at an Independent level of Japanese to:
1. Evaluate key concepts and issues on Japanese history, society and culture.
2. Engage on an academic level with authentic Japanese texts on related issues.
3. Demonstrate near-native level of language competence and independent research skills in Japanese.
4. Present sustained academic arguments with confidence on a variety of topical issues related to Japanese culture and society, with a nuanced understanding of the broader academic discourses.
Students who successfully complete this course will typically achieve a level of proficiency roughly equivalent to JLPT N1-2 to N3-2, depending on their performance and degree of engagement.
This is a co-taught course. Any cap on enrolments in one course applies to both courses combined.
- Participation (10%) (LOs 1, 2, 3, 4)
- Essay (15%) (1200 words) (LOs 1, 2, 3, 4)
Written response papers (20%) (LOs 1, 2, 3, 4)
- Oral Presentation (10%) (LOs 1, 2, 4)
- Kanji list (2x5%=10%) (LO 3)
- Exam (35%) (LOs 1, 2, 3, 4)
This course will be delivered in a seminar format (3 hours per week). The total workload for the course is 130 hours, including in class time and independent study.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|10186||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||In Person||N/A|