• Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
  • ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
  • Classification Transitional
  • Course subject Spanish
  • Areas of interest European Languages, International Relations, Translation Studies, Latin American Languages, Latin American Studies
  • Academic career PGRD
  • Course convener
    • Dr Elisabeth Mayer
  • Mode of delivery In Person
  • Co-taught Course
  • Offered in Second Semester 2018
    See Future Offerings

This course continues to build on SPAN1001. The primary aim of this course is to develop further the students' reading, writing and conversational skills at an advanced beginner's level with Spanish as the only medium of instruction. Teaching is based on a communicative approach to language learning simulating real-life situations in the classroom as well as in the laboratory practises. Cultural aspects of the Hispanic World are introduced through the language classes.

Learning Outcomes

Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:

Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
  1. communicate efficiently in daily contexts such as asking questions, directions, and discuss a variety of topics confidently in Spanish.
  2. use present and past tenses as well as present subjunctive when expressing themselves in oral and written form using relatively complex structures.
  3. have a sufficient range of language to write short essays on a variety of  topics, such as daily life with family and friends..
  4. express their views about a range of topics in writing and in conversations about such topics.
  5. read and understand short literary texts.
  6. reflect on their learning experience

Indicative Assessment

4 mini tests 10 min each (5% each, total 20%) [LOs 2,3,4,5]
1 in-class essay 50 min (150-170 words, 15%) [LO 2,34]
2 written tests 50 min each (15%, 20% each, total 35%) [LOs 2,4,5]
1 oral exam 10 min (15%) [LOs 1,2,4,5]
1 Reflective Essay, 1500 words (10%) [LO 1,2,3,4,5,6]
Performance and participation in class (5%) [LOs 1,2,3,4,5]

The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.

Workload

130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 36 hours of communicative practise and learning in language tutorials and 12 hours by interactive grammar lectures, and
b) 82 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.

Requisite and Incompatibility

To enrol in this course you must have successfully completed SPAN6501 or have an equivalent level of language competency as demonstrated by placement test. Alternatively you may gain permission of the Course Convener to enrol in this course. Incompatible with SPAN1002.

Prescribed Texts

Andrade, Tu Mundo 1st edition + Connect Plus, Mc Graw Hill Education

Assumed Knowledge

SPAN6501

Fees

Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.  

If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.

Student Contribution Band:
1
Unit value:
6 units

If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.  Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.

Units EFTSL
6.00 0.12500
Domestic fee paying students
Year Fee
2018 $3180
International fee paying students
Year Fee
2018 $4860
Note: Please note that fee information is for current year only.

Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links

The list of offerings for future years is indicative only.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.

Second Semester

Class number Class start date Last day to enrol Census date Class end date Mode Of Delivery Class Summary
8122 23 Jul 2018 30 Jul 2018 31 Aug 2018 26 Oct 2018 In Person N/A

Responsible Officer: Registrar, Student Administration / Page Contact: Website Administrator / Frequently Asked Questions