- Code SPAN6502
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Spanish
- Areas of interest European Languages, International Relations, Translation Studies, Latin American Languages, Latin American Studies
This course continues to build on SPAN1001. The primary aim of this course is to develop further the students' reading, writing and conversational skills at an advanced beginner's level with Spanish as the only medium of instruction. Teaching is based on a communicative approach to language learning simulating real-life situations in the classroom as well as in the laboratory practises. Cultural aspects of the Hispanic World are introduced through the language classes.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- communicate efficiently in daily contexts such as asking questions, directions, and discuss a variety of topics confidently in Spanish;
- use present and past tenses as well as present subjunctive when expressing themselves in oral and written form using relatively complex structures;
- have a sufficient range of language to write short essays on a variety of topics, such as daily life with family and friends;
- express their views about a range of topics in writing and in conversations about such topics;
- read and understand short literary texts; and
- reflect on their learning experience.
Indicative Assessment4 mini tests 10 min each (5% each, total 20%) [LOs 2,3,4,5]
1 in-class essay 50 min (150-170 words, 15%) [LO 2,34]
2 written tests 50 min each (15%, 20% each, total 35%) [LOs 2,4,5]
1 oral exam 10 min (15%) [LOs 1,2,4,5]
1 Reflective Essay, 1500 words (10%) [LO 1,2,3,4,5,6]
Performance and participation in class (5%) [LOs 1,2,3,4,5]
In response to COVID-19: Please note that Semester 2 Class Summary information (available under the classes tab) is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available to enrolled students via Wattle.
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 36 hours of communicative practise and learning in language tutorials and 12 hours by interactive grammar lectures; and
b) 82 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsPrescribed texts will be listed on the Course Wattle site.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7565||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||In Person||N/A|