- Code TURK6002
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Turkish
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies, Middle East Studies, Language Studies
- Academic career PGRD
- Mustafa Yurtbilir
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
Second Semester 2018
See Future Offerings
This course is designed for students with a prior foundational knowledge of Turkish. The course continues on from Elementary Turkish A and will further develop students' reading, writing and conversation skills. Students will learn both Simple Present and Future tenses and several grammatical frameworks such as gerunds and conjunctions. Lessons will include listening and reading exercises, enabling students to communicate more efficiently in daily contexts and converse on a variety of topics.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Demonstrate the use of elementary vocabulary and pronunciation in spoken Turkish.
- Communicate in Turkish in comparatively complex daily life dialogue.
- Read and understand short authentic Turkish language texts such as newspaper articles and extracts from books and novels.
- Understand basic grammatical concepts including gerunds (such as ability), intensification, comparison, several conjunctions and also use of Future and Simple Present tenses.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Turkish life and culture through reading passages in prescribed texts and additional materials.
6 Course Workbook Exercises (3% each for a total 18%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4, 5]
2 In-class Quizzes, 30 minutes each (6% each, total 12%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 3, 4]
Mid-semester Written Exam (1 hour - 20%) [Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4]
Final Exam (oral component: 10 min -20%; and written component: 2 hours - 30% - 50% in total ) [Learning Outcomes 1-5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 60 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 48 hours of lectures and language classes; and b) 82 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsTomer HITIT: Yabancilar icin Turkce 1, Ankara: Ankara University Press, 2002. Text book with cassettes will be available from the Uni bookshop.
G.L. Lewis, Turkish Grammar, OUP, 2001.
Lewis V. Thomas, Elementary Turkish, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1967.
Bengisu Rona, Turkish in Three Months, Woodbridge, Suffolk: Hugo, 1989.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8577||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||In Person||N/A|