- Code TURK6002
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Turkish
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies, Middle East Studies, Language Studies
This course is designed for students with a prior foundational knowledge of Turkish. The course continues on from Elementary Turkish A and will further develop students' reading, writing and conversation skills. Students will learn both Simple Present and Future tenses and several grammatical frameworks such as gerunds and conjunctions. Lessons will include listening and reading exercises, enabling students to communicate more efficiently in daily contexts and converse on a variety of topics.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate the use of elementary vocabulary and pronunciation in spoken Turkish;
- communicate in Turkish in comparatively complex daily life dialogue;
- read and understand short authentic Turkish language texts such as newspaper articles and extracts from books and novels;
- understand basic grammatical concepts including gerunds (such as ability), intensification, comparison, several conjunctions and also use of Future and Simple Present tenses; and
- demonstrate an understanding of Turkish life and culture through reading passages in prescribed texts and additional materials.
- 6 Course Workbook Exercises (3% each) (18) [LO 1,3,4,5]
- 2 In-class Quizzes, 30 minutes each (6% each) (12) [LO 1,3,4]
- Mid-semester Written Exam (1 hour) (20) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Final Exam (oral component: 10 min -20%; and written component: 2 hours - 30%) (50) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
In response to COVID-19, ANU has changed the mode of delivery for all classes in Semester 1 2020 to remote delivery.
Semester 1 Class Summary information (available under the Classes tab) on this publication is as up to date as possible. Changes to Class Summaries not captured by this publication will be available via Wattle and students should have been advised by the offering College. Find out more information on the University's response to COVID-19 here.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of lectures over 12 weeks; and,
b) 82 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
TÃ–MER Yeni Hitit 1 Yabancilar IÃ§in TÃ¼rkÃ§e Ders Kitabi (Course Book), Ankara: Ankara University Press, 2012.
TÃ–MER Yeni Hitit 1 Yabancilar IÃ§in TÃ¼rkÃ§e Ã‡alisma Kitabi (Workbook), Ankara: Ankara University Press, 2012.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7818||27 Jul 2020||03 Aug 2020||31 Aug 2020||30 Oct 2020||In Person||N/A|