- Code VIET2003
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Vietnamese
- Areas of interest Asian Languages
This course is an upper intermediate level of Vietnamese with an emphasis on active oral and writing skills. It focuses on communicating in Vietnamese in the context of daily life activities in Vietnam and places an emphasis on areas of accommodation, travel, social customs and education. A reading program forms an integral part of the syllabus.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills at an Upper Intermediate level of Vietnamese to:
1. Use an active vocabulary of around 2,000 items and a passive vocabulary of around 4,000 items.
2. Recognise and use the main structures of semi-complex Vietnamese on various topics, including those related to their area of academic interest.
3. Interact confidently, appropriately and with ease with native speakers on a wide range of subjects; compose clear and detailed texts on topics of general personal interest; and present viewpoints with clarity and coherence.
4. Demonstrate a basic understanding of present-day social life in Vietnam.
10 Weekly Assignments: 20% (L1, 2 &3)
Mid-term Oral Presentation: 10% (L1, 2 &3)
Final Oral Presentation: 10% (L1, 2 &3)
Mid-term Written Exam: 30% (L1, 2, 3 &4)
Final Written Exam: 30% (L1, 2, 3 &4)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadFour hours per week. Students should contact the course convenor for details of class times.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Nguyen Bich Thuan, Contemporary Vietnamese: An Intermediate Text, Northern Illinois University, 1996
Hue, Nguyen Van (ed), Vietnamese as a Second Language III (VSL 3), College of Social Sciences and Humanities, Vietnam National University- HCMC, 2003
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are an undergraduate student and have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). You can find your student contribution amount for each course at Fees. Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings and Dates
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7262||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||In Person||N/A|
|9209||23 Jul 2018||30 Jul 2018||31 Aug 2018||26 Oct 2018||Online||N/A|