- Code ARTV2401
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Visual Arts
- Areas of interest Visual Arts, Creative Arts
- Academic career UGRD
- Rohan Nicol
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2019
See Future Offerings
This practical course introduces digital and analogue machinery and equipment for making jewellery and domestic scale objects. Students will engage these technologies to learn their practical and creative potentials. Students will complete set projects and then develop independent and/or collaborative projects that extend and consolidate knowledge. Machines provide unlimited opportunity for creative exploration, enabling rapid prototyping of ideas, efficiency in manufacture and repeatable accuracy. Machines extend the capacity of the hand but yet remain connected to the mind and intent of their operator. Students will have the opportunity and support to engage with digital design software to specify designs.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the machines and processes introduced;
- process materials with machines in a controlled or methodical way;
- specify and make original jewellery and/or objects with the technology;
- critically engage with historical and theoretical contexts relevant to the production, display, viewing and use of jewellery and objects; and
- demonstrate knowledge and application of Workplace Health and Safety practices.
Indicative AssessmentPortfolio of studio work (80%) Learning Outcomes 1-5
Supporting artifacts of design research and contextual references (20%) Learning Outcomes 1-4
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: lectures, tutorials, critiques and supervised studio practice; and
b) 82 hours of independent studio practice, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|9886||22 Jul 2019||29 Jul 2019||31 Aug 2019||25 Oct 2019||In Person||N/A|